Sunday, April 5, 2009

Skin Care Ingredients

1. 4.
Why I choose the ingredients I use. When I first learned to make soap I made it for myself. It had to be moisturizing and detergent free due to my skin condition. I’ve remained true to that principle while expanding my line for my customers.

One of the first lessons that stuck with me in discovering solutions to my skin care needs was a basic biology fact: the skin is the body’s largest organ. Who knew? I’m sure I learned this in school as biology and my biology teacher were my high school favorites. But somehow along the way I failed to make the connection to my skin care products. Thanks Mrs. Herron for opening my heart and mind to biology. Who'd guess I'd be making my living and hobby from it.


Everything I put on my skin is absorbed into this large organ. It is either helpful, benign or harmful maybe even toxic. Well…that changed everything for me.

I try to stick with only ingredients that can be food in the kitchen cupboard. In other words, I only use ingredients that I could otherwise ingest. After all I really am in a manner of speaking--through my pores.

Perhaps you read my previous post about “Olive Oil”, if not it’s a good read. It is one of my soapmaking and skin care staples. Get the skinny:

I will be featuring other ingredients I use and why. My latest new love...
Carrageen (aka Irish Moss). Look for it soon. Here's a sneak preview.
Except from Wikipedia: Chondrus crispus
, known under the common name Irish moss, or carrageen moss (Irish carraigín, "little rock"), is a species of red alga which grows abundantly. Chondrus crispus is a source of carrageenan, which is commonly used as a thickener and stabilizer[5] in milk products such as ice cream[

1 comment:

Splendid Little Stars said...

very important, what one puts on one's skin. I will look forward to your future posts.